What are Fire Blankets and how do they work?
Fire blankets are manufactured from fire-retardant woven glass fibre material and when draped over a fire smother it by reducing the oxygen supply.
Uses for fire blankets
- Suitable for both commercial and domestic situations
- Most commonly used on cooking fires
- Can also be used to wrap around a person to smother a clothing fire
- May be used as a protective shield to escape through flames.
- Fire blankets come packed in a flat plastic sleeve with eyelets at the top so they can be hung on the wall
- In an emergency a fire blanket can be quickly and easily removed from the plastic sleeve by pulling down on the release tabs.
- Sizes we stock – 1m x 1m, 1.2m x 1.8m, and 1.8 x 1.8
Fire blanket maintenance
- Fire Blankets should be inspected annually in accordance with NZS 4503:2005
- Once used, a fire blanket should be replaced
How to use a Fire Blanket (pdf 102kb)